Protecting your Comstock, Michigan home from winter storms
SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo doesn't take snow days! Call us today at (269) 342-2366
Winter weather is difficult to predict and can cause a lot of damage if not properly prepared. Using these tips, you can help protect your home from some of these costly winter storm damages:
- Take care of your roof – Keep gutters cleaned, trees trimmed, replace any necessary siding or roof flashing and repair your chimney (if necessary).
- Prevent ice dams from forming – Eliminate heat sources under your roofing, keep the attic ventilated, invest in a roof rake to remove snow, avoid trying to chip off any ice dams that may have already formed and talk to your roof specialist about sealing the roof with a moisture barrier.
- Prevent water damage- Insulate any exposed pipes, caulk any cracks or holes in the outer walls or foundation of the home, open bathroom and kitchen cabinets to allow heat to circulate the pipes, trickle water through the faucets that run through any unheated areas of the home and if you plan to leave the home unoccupied, shut off the main water valve and have a professional drain the system.
- Clear walkways and driveways – Keep walkways, steps and driveways clear of snow and ice and treat these areas with salt or de-icing products.
If your home has suffered winter storm damage, call SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo at 269-342-2366. We make storm damage “Like it never even happened.”
Water Damage Hazards in Kalamazoo, Michigan
Mixing water and electricity creates a potential for disaster, and since electrical hazards exists everywhere on the typical water damage job site, it is important to be aware of what to do. Water that comes into a home or building from either a roof leak or from water pipes in the attic is likely to intrude into the wiring system. Flooding can also pose a threat to your wiring system if the water reaches any ground level outlets.
The first thing to check is the power distribution box. Turning off all circuit breakers at the power distribution panel is the easiest way to protect you, your SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo crew, and the building occupants from electrical shock hazards. If only a portion of the building was affected, then turn off all circuits that provide power to the damaged areas if water has intruded into wall cavities and electrical outlets. Use either a lockout device or tag out device when circuits are turned off to prevent any shock hazards.
If you’re facing a water emergency, call SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo at (269) 342-2366. We make water damage “Like it never even happened.”
One 4 year old chef and Two Plastic Bowls in Richland, MI: What Could Go Wrong?
Even the smallest of kitchen fires leave behind smoke residue. Let us help make it, "Like it never even happened."
People say it all the time; they grow up way too fast. One day you’re bringing them home from the hospital. The next thing you know they are off to college. Somewhere in the middle of all that, you get to watch them discover doing things for themselves. After all, they can’t depend on mom and dad forever. This young four year old of Richland, MI was no exception.
After watching his mother cook a multitude of family meals, he was confident he could handle one on his own. The young chef went to the refrigerator, removed a container of food, placed it on the hot stove, and continued watching television. His mother discovered her little chef’s masterpiece when she smelled smoke. The container was in flames, along with a towel that lay beside the burner. His mother quickly dowsed the fire in baking soda, removed the burnt items, and opened the windows.
Unfortunately, his mother spent 2 months spraying deodorizer to cover the smell until it went away. She should have called the professionals at SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo. They are trained and highly equipped to find sources of smoke odor and effectively eliminate these odors. Don’t let the stench of smoke residue take over your home; call us today at (269) 342-2366.
Mold Mitigation Services in Parchment, Michigan
There's a lot of things you want to grow in your business, but mold isn't one of them!
Buildings with excessive moisture can be breeding grounds for mold growth. If your facility has experienced an ongoing moisture problem due to water intrusion, long-standing leaks, roof damage or from poor humidity control, it is important to be alert to the following factors:
- The presence of visible mold
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might indicate previous mold growth
- Excessive humidity
Should mold be found within the facility, mold removal and remediation can help eliminate a potentially dangerous situation. SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo arrives on-site alert for any visible signs of mold. Following industry standards for mold remediation, we will work to remove visible mold and reduce the potential for future mold growth. Call us today at (269) 342-2366.
Mold damage cleanup in Augusta, Michigan
This mold was caused due to an undetected water damage.
If you're questioning how to remove mold in your Augusta, Michigan home, your first answer is call SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo at 269-342-2366.
SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo handles water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold. Mold is more likely to spread when an environment has been subject to moisture for a long period of time. If your property has sustained a recent water damage, it is vital to remove excess water and dry the structure promptly. If there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, it is important to be alert for:
- The presence of visible mold
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth
- Excessive humidity
If you think you have a mold damage problem, call SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo at 269-342-2366 and we'll make it "Like it never even happened."
Wind and Storm Damage in East Kalamazoo
When mother nature strikes, call SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo!
Property damage caused by severe weather can be devastating to your family or business, and repairing it can be a complex undertaking. To get storm damage repair completed quickly and safely, you need a restoration service company that specializes in bringing your home back to its preloss condition.
SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo provides specialized emergency cleanup and restoration services to bring your property back to normal with minimal interruption. We can handle any damage due to severe weather, including:
- Lightning Strikes
- Tornadoes and high winds
- Hail and ice storms
- Freezing weather and ice dams
When mother nature hits hard, Call SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo at (269) 342-2366 to get help fast! We make storm damage “Like it never even happened.”
The Storm In Galesburg, MI Is Over: What Happens Now?
This Galesburg resident, was left with standing water in her basement after a recent storm. She called SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo to help!
For those with damage to their homes, the storm was only the beginning. Now, it has passed and they are left with the aftermath of standing water. Despite what you may think, it’s not just water.
- Water left behind by storms may contain all sorts of contaminated substances such as sewage, bits of debris, and harmful bacteria. This creates the perfect environment for microbial growth if left untreated.
- Water is also a conductor of electricity. Standing water paired with downed power lines could make for a potentially dangerous situation.
- Keep in mind, large amounts of water could become home to animals as well, be sure to stay alert when cleaning up. You never know what you might uncover, hopefully not a snake!
- Always remember, if it’s NOT safe for you, it’s NOT safe for your pets either. Be sure to keep family pets away from standing water.
When disaster strikes your Galesburg, MI home have no fear, SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo are here to help! Water damage often takes several days to clean up, let us take the weight off your shoulders. Here at SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo, we are experts at restoring your home. In fact, you may say it’s “Like it never even happened.” Call us at (269) 342-2366.
24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service in Vicksburg, Michigan
With any leak, its the water you don't see that causes the most damage. Call us today at (269) 342-2366.
SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo understands that using the proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing claims loss expense. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo will answer your call with fast action, exceptional equipment, and trained uniformed personnel. Certainly, the right tool for the job is vital to timely mitigation, but perhaps more important, our water damage professionals thoroughly understand how to dry a structure and personal property effectively.
Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo will work hard to restore your property and it's contents helping you become the hero in a disaster situation. Call us today at (269) 342-2366.
Sump Pump Maintenance Tips for Your Kalamazoo, MI Home
When this basement flooded, the water was even absorbed into the walls. Thanks to SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo mitigation began immediately.
If you have a damp basement or live in an area prone to flooding, you know that dealing with water damage can be a homeowner’s worst nightmare. If your home has a wet basement, you’re not alone. The American Society of Home Inspectors estimates that more than 60 percent of homes have issues with water in the basement. A sump pump can be an effective option for preventing water damage.
Installed in a pit in the basement, these units sense when the water from rain or snow melt is rising in the pit and approaching the floor level. The incoming water is then pumped outside before it can damage the home or its furnishings. Sump pumps are relatively low-maintenance devices, but you can help keep your unit operational by inspecting it regularly. Steps in a regular maintenance program can include:
- Check the discharge line to make sure it is not stopped up or frozen. If necessary, unclog the air vent hole in the line.
- Check the inlet screen to ensure that it’s not clogged with any residue or debris.
- Making sure the float component is unobstructed and can move smoothly.
- Scan the pit and remove any visible debris, mud, or stones.
- Test the pump by slowly pouring a bucket of water into the pit. The float should rise with the water level, triggering the unit to start pumping. If pumping doesn’t begin, check to see that the unit is plugged in. Your float switch or check valve may also be at fault.
- Go outside to see that water is discharging and flowing where it’s supposed to go – well away from your home.
Water Heater Maintenance Tips for Vicksburg, MI Residents
A water heater was to blame for this water damage. This homeowner called SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo to help!
Leaks within a home or business can cause extensive damage if unnoticed for a long period of time. Leaking water can seep into flooring, carpets, baseboard and walls while moving throughout the structure of the home. Such a leak not only damages your property, it can also interrupt your day-to-day schedule.
Since one out of every ten water incidents in a home is caused by a water heater, below are some tips and tricks to help provide some peace of mind:
- Before doing any maintenance on your water heater, shut off the power at the service panel
- Once every three months, drain one gallon of water from the tank. If you have hard water, do this every month to reduce sediment collecting in the bottom of the tank.
- Once every two years, have your water heater inspected by a service technician.
- Once every five years, have a service technician replace the anode rod.
If you didn’t get to these tips fast enough and have suffered from water damage, call SERVPRO ofEast Kalamazoo at 269-342-2366. We make water damage “Like it never even happened.”