Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When your home is affected by water damage there are many things that you as the owner can do. First and foremost, don't freak out! It will be ok. Here are some helpful tips for you before SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo arrives:
- Shutoff the source of the water if possible or call a licensed plumber to stop the water at it's source
- Turn off the circuit breakers to the affected part of the home if power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock
- Lift furniture off of the flooring with wood blocks
- Remove as much excess water as possible with mops and/or a wet vacuum (never use a standard vacuum)
- Be sure to call SERVPRO of East Kalamazoo at 269-342-2366
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (269) 342-2366
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.